The Suffolk Book League is pleased to publicise the following local and national literary-related organisations, information and events.
LOCAL LITERARY GROUPS
- Suffolk-based reading groups: http://readinggroups.org
- Belstead House Group: meets on the fourth Sunday of the month at 10:00am - contact Janet Dann via www.readinggroups.org
- BooksFizz Book Group: read, chat, share, have a cuppa in the refreshment area...this book group meets in Ipswich Library on the 4th Wednesday of the month, 2-3pm. 50p per person to cover the costs of the refreshments.
- Chantry Journeys Bookgroup: this is a book group for all local people (Ipswich, Capel, Belstead, Chantry, Pinewood, Thorington Park, Stoke, Maidenhall) aged 16+. Mixture of titles decided in advance by group consensus that are easily available to borrow from library service. Meets last Thursday of month at Chantry Library, Hawthorn Drive, Ipswich IP2 0QY , Tel 01473 260880 from 6-7.30pm, cost £2.00 which includes refreshments. Contact Cathy Gale at Chantry.Library@suffolklibraries.co.uk for further details.
- Felixstowe Scribblers: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/annets/
- Ipswich Book Club: http://ipswichbookclub.wordpress.com
- Suffolk Writers Group: meets on Wednesday and Thursday evenings in Ipswich, Suffolk. For more details visit their website and Facebook page: http://suffolkwritersgroup.com/& https://www.facebook.com/suffolkwritersgroup. Further information also available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Suffolk Poetry Society: http://suffolkpoetrysociety.org.uk
- Suffolk Writers' Studio: http://suffolkwriters.co.uk/
- The Coffee Shop Reading Group: meets regularly at the Waitrose in Sudbury - contact Shirley Mulvey via www.readinggroups.org
- Top Time Book Group: meets on the first Thursday of the month at Rosehill Library - contact Lucy Cooper via www.readinggroups.org
- Waterfront Book Club: https://www.facebook.com/thewaterfrontbookclub?fref=ts
- Write Now!: a writing group based in Bury St Edmunds - www.writenowgroup.co.uk
- Ipswich Children’s Book Group: http://www.fcbg.org.uk/ipswich-childrens-book-group/
The Ipswich Children's Book Group is a registered charity that promotes children's books and reading. To contact Ipswich Children's Book Group please email: email@example.com
- Aldeburgh Bookshop, Aldeburgh, Suffolk – www.aldeburghbookshop.co.uk
- Browsers Bookshop, Woodbridge, Suffolk – www.browsersbookshop.co.uk (Twitter @browsersbks)
- Framlingham Bookshop, Suffolk - based on the Market Hill in Framlingham this secondhand book shop stocks approximately 9,000 titles. As an established family business trading for over 30 years they can search for rare and out of print books and customers can also order books as required. Valuations also undertaken. Further details available by calling 01728 723046 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (Twitter @Victoriabooksho)
- Landers Bookshop – an independent bookshop situated in Long Melford. Books can also be purchased online. www.landersbookshop.co.uk
- Waterstones, Ipswich – www.waterstones.com (Twitter @Wstonesipswich)
LOCAL LIBRARIES AND RESOURCES
LOCAL LITERARY PUBLICATIONS
Do you enjoy visiting places where writers and poets have lived, or set their works? On holiday do you try to read books set in that area? This free e-book has been prepared for people just like you! Hard copies are also available from Suffolk’s numerous Tourist Information Centres.
- Lip is the creative writing anthology from IP1 – the arts magazine for Ipswich
Showcasing a new wave of young local writers and illustrators, Lip defines local youth literature today in a style that's visually-exciting, energetic, and self-assured. Lip is available to buy online for just £3 per copy plus 50p postage and packaging. Buy Lip now at www.ip1zine.com/lip
LOCAL UNIVERSITY COURSES / EVENTS
LOCAL LITERARY / ARTS FESTIVALS AND AWARDS
NATIONAL LITERARY FESTIVALS
NATIONAL LITERARY LINKS
- The Alliance of Literary Societies is the umbrella organisation for literary societies and groups in the UK.
- BookCrossing encourages readers to read, register and release books for others to enjoy.
- Bookgroup Info is an independent site providing information for readers, book groups, reading groups and book clubs. We aim to provide a book lovers' community where you can find unaffiliated book reviews, literary news, interviews with distinguished authors and keep up to date with literary festivals and events.
- Get the latest news about the world of book publishing from The Bookseller
- The Booktrust is an independent national charity which encourages people of all ages and cultures to discover and enjoy reading.
- Contemporary Writers is a unique, searchable database containing up-to-date profiles of many of the UK and Commonwealth's most important living writer.
- The Living Literature Society organise and host memorable cultural events with a difference in the UK and throughout Europe.
- NaNoWriMo is the annual National Novel Writing Month initiative that takes place in November and encourages people to write.
- National Literacy Trust is an independent charity that believes everyone in the UK should have the literacy skills they need.
- The Royal Society of Literature is uniquely devoted to promoting and extending the knowledge and love of literature, its rich past and its vibrant present.
- The Society of Authors is a membership organisation with over 9,000 members writing in all areas of the profession.
- The Times Literary Supplement includes detailed literary culture and book reviews from the world's finest book critics.
- World Book Day - www.worldbookday.com
- Wold Book Night - www.worldbooknight.org
Disclaimer: This webpage contains links to other websites which are independent of the SBL and are maintained by third parties. The SBL is not responsible for the content of any third party websites and shall not be liable for any damages or injury arising from the contents of such websites.